Today I find myself oddly reminiscing about college: the people, the places, and the things that made it one of the best experiences of my life. I didn’t realize until today how much I actually missed it.
THE THINGS I MISS:
- The infinite possibility of everything in front of me.
- Being able to walk down the hall of my dorm, rather than driving three hours to see my best friends.
- The ambivalent feelings I had every time a long break was over and I would have to return to school.
- The greasy Saturday morning breakfasts that offset the hangovers from Friday night.
- The emergent ideas of those around me.
- The sense of community, no matter where we all came from or how different we all were.
- The ease in which we could make friends any and everywhere because our minds were so open to it.
- The cold drunken walks back to the dorm where we reveled in the night’s festivities and our successes, no matter what they may be: coming up with the best name for our trivia team, winning a wrestling match in the mud/rain, or simply not throwing up from how much we drank.
- The late night dance parties when we simply needed to unwind.
- The structure.
- The Thursday night dinners towards the end that kept us together even as we began to drift apart.
- The last minute rush to find/make Halloween costumes.
- The stupid arguments over who was reading the bus schedule correctly.
- The lack of judgment as we tried to figure out what we wanted out of life.
- The countless crushes and fleeting romances.
- The ability to get by without a car.
- The ability to put off financial worries until later.
- The excess federal loan money that helped pay my rent.
- The classes and professors who challenged me to be more than what I was and everything that I could be.
- The access to pizza and wings (or any other delivery food for that matter) after midnight.
- The campus sponsored events that I never attended, but had the opportunity to.
- The unusual conversations I would hear on the way to class.
- The back to school shopping.
- The uncomfortable conversation topics at dinner that forced us to broaden our minds and entertain notions that otherwise we would not have.
- The naps between classes.
- The stolen trays from the dining commons that we used to go sledding.
- The karaoke and square dancing that reminded us that it’s ok to simply let go and act dumb sometimes.
- The cramped movie viewings in our dorm rooms; rooms that probably shouldn’t have held as many people as they did.
- The hilarious texts that we don’t even remember sending.
- The thrill of not knowing what’s going to happen next.
It’s strange to think about some of these things. It’s even weirder that I miss some of them. I guess it just comes down to the realization that in many ways it’s the little things we miss the most and the little things that have the biggest impact on us.
Until next time…stay classy.
– C.M. Berry